Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Book Cover Meta-cognitive

Meta-Cognitive on Book Cover

For the book cover I made for the Memoir Reading Lolita in Tehran I thought about the book and one major theme, or topic I thought of was struggle. The memoir is built off of the struggle of a woman’s persistence to bring knowledge to those who want and deserve it. I thought of the face of a woman looking down in sadness, and despair. I chose to keep it simple by adding no colors or something that really pulls in the eye to much. I wanted it to have a bit of eeriness, and at the same time a sense of clarity and serenity. What I wanted to portray was the moment she realized that she was going to begin teaching these secret classes, and the emotion and sadness she has towards what her country has become.
I feel like the cover of my book fits the author’s style of writing because it is modest. This memoir is an incredible story of drive and persistence but the way it is written, makes it seem as though the author feels like what she did was not so important or brave. Since I really enjoyed this memoir I feel like finding a picture to draw would be easy to do. Though this story has its happy moments the oppression is what makes the story so like-able, and truly grasps the reader and pulls them in to the story. I think my main approach to making the cover was depicting a moment from it how I pictured it to be in my own mind.

No comments: