Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Meta-Congnition

Carla Castillo
Mr. Gallagher
Period 2
Metacognition
For this assignment I chose to re-write a Greek myth in the style of William Faulkner. I began the process by choosing which myth it was that I enjoyed the most and I really enjoyed the myth of daedalus and Icarus I thought that this would be really easy for me to write as Faulkner because since it is so open ended with its descriptiveness I could easily add in the details of how I saw it. What stimulated my ideas was doing the myth in modern times in the army. I chose the army because I feel like what is going on today in the world we live in is easily connected to what the story touches on. My audience is I guess our class and Mr. Gallagher, as for my purpose it was to send the message to the reader that karma is in fact a reality. You take a father who has a very close relationship with his son, and make him kill a son of his sister is really ironic because he understands how much his son means to him, or how much a child means to a parent but because of his tragic flaw of jealousy he went ahead with killing Perdix regardless of how much his son meant to him. Since he ignored what was right and did what was wrong he was punished with exactly the crime he committed.

Since I was absent I did not get the real opportunity to get advice from some one else in time but going over what I had written I felt that the first time I wrote a quick draft I had to much dialogue so I decided instead to tell it from the perspective of a narrator who was in the story in a way but not a main character. Since Faulkner always uses and interesting point of view for his narrators I did the same and left on line of dialogue at the end that was actually said by the character in the story. By ending it that way I felt it was more powerful, that the one line of dialogue in the whole story was the last words before the downfall of the tragic hero.

Some areas I need to improve on I feel are that in most of my papers I begin strong and lose that special something I had at the beginning or start out slow and have a really good ending. I feel that what I need to really improve on is having a fluid paper one that is equally strong in every paragraph and can really pull a reader in to my story. I feel that I want to have stronger papers, a another big issue is my ideas are always scattered and jumping from one thing to another constantly. This is really not enjoyable for the reader at all, I would not want to read a paper like that so I hope to improve mine.

No comments: